Sunday, November 12, 2017

Basic Triangle Congruence Proof Tools

I'll be honest- I wasn't quite sure how the start of triangle proofs would go with my Geo with Lab students this year. Not because they aren't capable, but because they were so scared! With students who already have some math anxiety, the anticipation of starting a famously formidable topic was hanging ominously over the classroom our very first day. They had heard things from their older sibling and friends and judged proofs before they ever even gave them a chance. So far, so good, though. No tears. A few "why did everyone make such a big deal of this?" comments. I count all of those in the W column. 

I've been scaffolding proofs slowly, a little more each day. We've been using this super basic graphic organizer to plan before writing anything, making a constant analogy to how your English teacher asks you to outline a paper before you write the final draft. Knowing where your headed before you ever start makes the destination easier to get to, for sure. I printed about 8 of these to a page and have them in sheet protectors in my room so kids can write on them with dry erase markers with no commitment as they plan. I also have a bunch of extras that they can pick up for homework or use on quizzes/tests if it helps them. 

Here's how it looked in action on our first day:

Here's a link if you're interested in using or adapting: 



I also designed this really basic sorting activity for triangle congruence. I know there are a ton of these out there already, but I wanted something targeted for my type of kiddos, who need to build some confidence and hadn't been exposed to everything yet. I didn't even use this with my standard level class because they were ready for more open-ended activities more quickly. There are 3 proofs and all the statements and reasons scrambled for each. My students at this point hadn't seen HL or CPCTC yet, so these are really just getting them to engage with the very first steps of proof. It went well with my kiddos and made them feel some success, which is really half the battle in a lab class. 



Steal away if this would be helpful to you! And as always, feel free to offer suggestions if you see room for improvement! Happy proving!  

No comments:

Post a Comment